At Your Service...
The VA MidSouth Healthcare Network (VISN 9) and the Lexington VA Medical Center are pleased to offer you toll-free telephone access to a Registered Nurse (RN) after normal business hours, holidays, and on weekends.
The Advice Nurse Line provides veterans and veteran's family members convenient clinical care advice from 4:30 p.m. until 8 a.m., and 24-hours a day on holidays and weekends.
Our highly qualified, trained nurses each have more than 15 years of nursing experience to provide you with the helpful medical advice you need right over the telephone! This service is not a substitute for ongoing professional medical care, which should be obtained from your Primary Care Provider.
The Advice Nurse Line will help you manage some of your basic healthcare needs and offer improved access to VA services. The staff promises safe, timely, and consistent clinical care.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Should I Call the Advice Nurse Line if I am having an emergency?
- No. If you are having a true emergency, dial 911 or your local emergency medical service.
- Should I use this service if I have a question about my condition or medications?
- Yes. The VISN 9 Advice Nurses have access to your medical record and many other medically approved resources to help answer your questions.
- Can I change my appointments and renew my medicines through this service?
- No. This service is for callers who are having clinical problems or questions or "I'm feeling sick today" type calls. All other calls will be referred back to local Primary Care Teams.
- I have been very frustrated with the voice mail system. Am I going to get a voice mail or a live person when calling this line?
- The VISN 9 Advice Nurse Line does not use voice mail. If all lines are busy, you can hold on the line until the next available nurse answers.
- I understand these nurses are located in Lexington, Kentucky. How will they be able to help me if they don't know me?
- The VISN 9 Advice Nurses have immediate access to your electronic medical record. They can easily view your Primary Care provider's notes and orders. They also have the ability to write directly in your electronic medical record so that your local Primary Care Providers and Nurses will be aware of your concerns.