Lexington VA Health Care System
Women Veterans can expect the very best in gender specific care. In our Women Veterans Health Clinic, we emphasize health promotion and women’s wellness in a setting that is safe, private, respectful, and convenient. We offer:
- Osteoporosis treatment and management
- Management of acute illness
- Primary care (vaccines, bone density testing, nutrition counseling, and weight management)
- Preventive services – age-appropriate cancer screenings (clinical breast exams, mammograms, cervical cancer screening, and colorectal cancer screening)
- Management of chronic disease (diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid disorders, COPD, and CVD)
- Nutrition and weight management
- Smoking Cessation
- Wellness and healthy living tools
- Management of gender-specific issues - family planning and contraceptive counseling including availability of IUDs and diaphragms, preconception counseling, pharmacologic issues related to pregnancy and lactation, sexually transmitted infection (STI) treatment, vaginal infections, treatment of menopausal symptoms, abnormal vaginal bleeding, pelvic and abdominal pain, initial infertility work-up, PCOS, urinary incontinence/pelvic floor disorders, including pessary fitting.
- Gynecology services – medical and surgical treatments of complex gynecologic problems including fibroids, endometriosis, abnormal uterine bleeding and chronic pelvic pain. In addition to nonsurgical treatments, we also offer minimally invasive approach when surgery is needed.
- Mental health services – military sexual trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, substance abuse, family and parenting issues, and domestic violence.
- Social Work services - referrals to community resources, homelessness assistance, assistance with living wills, financial hardship situations, benefits information and phase of life issues.
Staff includes a primary care physician, gynecologist, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, Medical Support Assistant, Women Veterans Program Manager, and designated women’s health providers at each of our community-based outpatient clinics.
Sousley Campus and Somerset
Monday to Friday - 8am to 4:30pm
Saturday - 8am to noon (Leestown)
Berea, Hazard, Morehead Locations
Monday to Friday - 8am to 4:00pm
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
VA welcomes women Veterans. We are committed to providing high-quality services in a sensitive and safe environment at all VA facilities. Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA medical center to assist women Veterans with questions and coordinate services (see contact information on this page).
Each woman Veteran is assigned a Women’s Health Primary Care Provider. These experienced providers are trained to deliver comprehensive primary care, as well as routine women’s health care. You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) where a provider, nurse, and others will work with you to manage your health care:
- Primary care: general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: immunizations and cancer screenings (breast and cervical), osteoporosis screening and management
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control, family planning, and preconception counseling
Learn more about the gender-specific services VA has to offer
- Women Veterans Health Care
- Health and Wellness
- Maternity Care
- Military Sexual Trauma
Women Veterans Call Center
The Women Veterans Call Center provides women Veterans information about VA services and resources, benefits, and eligibility. The toll-free line is available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m.–10:00 p.m. ET and on Saturdays 8:00 a.m.–6:30 p.m. ET. Please see our Women Veterans Call Center website or call 855-VA-WOMEN (855-829-6636). Call, chat, or text are all available.